Pages

1/26/08

Caramel Apple Pie

My grandparents had a variety of apple trees on the farm, so apple desserts were served fairly often. This dessert reminds me of Grandma's apple crisp, but with a sweet caramely twist that is exceptionally good.

Since I made this the first time, my mom and my aunts ask if I'm baking apple pie anytime soon. I get a kick out of that! They think I'm a good cook... and I learned from them.

Caramel Apple Pie

Pie Filling

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 7 cups peeled and sliced apples - I used granny smith, because that’s what I
    have in the refrigerator


Crumb Topping

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar


Caramely Topping

  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts - pecans or walnuts
  • 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping - I used Mrs. Richardson’s butterscotch
    caramel topping


Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375
  2. Prepare the pie crust - fit into a deep dish pie pan.
  3. In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the sliced
    apples. Toss to completely coat the apples.
  4. Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust.
  5. Prepare the crumb topping - mix together the flour, oats, and brown sugar.
    Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or a couple of
    table knives. Continue cutting in, until it resembles course crumbs, about the
    size of peas.
  6. Spread the crumb topping over the apples.
  7. Protect the edges of the pie crust with foil or they get way too brown.
  8. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
  9. Remove the foil from the pie crust and bake another 25 minutes.
  10. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the pie, then drizzle with the caramel
    topping. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes.


This is best served warm, great with vanilla ice cream and a little more caramel sauce to taste.

No comments: