Pages

1/26/08

In the Kitchen With Grandma

When I was a little girl, I loved spending time in the kitchen with my grandma. Grandma and grandpa lived in an old craftsman style farmhouse. They raised nine children in that big old house on the farm. The kitchen was a big country kitchen, with the family dining table and kitchen all in one room. Nothing too fancy. There was a window over the sink, and huge cupboards. With high ceilings and cupboards soaring to the ceiling, we needed a ladder to reach into the upper cupboards!

There was a china buffet, and a table in front of a big picture window. The window looked out across the valley... our valley. On the back side of the table was a long wooden bench, and a couple of huge tin flour cans with pillow cushions. We used the flour cans as chairs at the table. Of course, us kids were always fighting over who got to sit on the flour cans! The adults all sat on chairs around the table. When dinner time came around, it was squished... and I love thinking back to how squished we all were and all those wonderful family memories around Grandma's table.

I can picture Grandma now... humming one of her favorite hymns, standing next to the stove, wearing her pink cotton house dress. Wooden spoon in hand, she's leaning over the pot, smelling the aromas coming up from the pan. Mmmmm... those sweet aromas!

Grandma passed her favorite old recipes down to my mom and my aunts... Now I'm the grandma. Hopefully I'm creating such sweet, warm memories for my granddaughters.

No comments: