Pages

1/26/08

Extra Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Here's a recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting, I've been making for nearly 30 years. This is an extra creamy frosting and it's very easy to make. You can make it rich chocolate, or light chocolate by adjusting the amount of cocoa powder. 3/4 cup is for a rich chocolate flavor.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter- softened (not melted)
  • 2 and 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa powder (use less for a lighter chocolate
    flavor)
  • 1 and 1/2 cup cool whip whipped topping - thawed

Directions

  1. Beat the butter and sugar together, until it is creamy. This may take a
    minute or two. First it will get all crumbly and look like you've messed up,
    just keep beating it and it will all come together to form a creamy
    mixture.
  2. Add in the vanilla, mix until it's creamy
  3. Slowly add in the half and half, one or two tablespoons at a time.
  4. Add the cocoa powder to the bowl and continue beating on low until this is
    very creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula, to make sure it's all
    mixed together.
  5. Fold in the cool whip, mix with a spoon until it's all creamed
    together.

This makes enough frosting for one cake mix.


I know, this is an unusual recipe to share in a first post. So let me explain my thinking here. LOL Easier said than done, I assure you. But here goes. I baked a cake yesterday, and when I was making the frosting, I tasted it... Oh you know I had to taste it. It's frosting. It's chocolate! Mmmmmm! Anyway. That's the moment I came up with the idea to create a blog to share my favorite recipes.

No comments: